Happy holidays. So I just updated my PPro to the lasted version as I saw a news blast they had released an update this week to build 8.2.0. I tried an earlier v8.1 pre build 65 version and it had really bad playback – very choppy. All excited, I launched the new version… and……. CRAP!!!!! same thing. However, I did catch something that I maybe didn’t see before: Once you have updated to the latest version it appears the playback engine defaults to OpenCL instead of CUDA for accelerated playback and rendering.
I created a new project and switched the settings at startup and voila… the new project was playing back perfectly. I then closed that new project and re-opened my older project that was stuttering and now it was playing back nicely too.
I also did a quick export with matching sequence settings and it went about 3x speed. Conversion to H264 was pretty slow taking roughly 16 minutes for a 2 minute piece. 1920 x 1080 30p 5D/GoPro mixed footage.